Thursday, June 26, 2014

Putting your faith in the right place

I think it's troubling when people have a crisis of faith after reading some comment or blog post on the internet. Come on, are you really going to believe the words of some random internet troll and ditch your faith in God that easily? Dieter Uchtdorf, a prominent leader of the LDS church, said: "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."

A lot of people say, "I can't see why you belong to a church that has terrible people." What makes you assume I go because of the people? I don't go because I think that it automatically makes me, or anyone else who goes, better than everyone else. I go because I honestly believe God wants me to. I admit there are more dirt bags in my religion then there should be. I also assert that my religion has TONS of wonderful people, which people should be just as eager to point out.

But my faith is completely independent of anyone's actions. Which is actually quite liberating, because I'd be stressed if my devotion depended on the actions of 15 million people spread out across the globe; or if I let myself be influenced by the 7 billion people on this planet with their endless variety of opinions.

Plus, God is reliable: maybe some of those people are right about some things, but God is always right about everything. I'd rather trust in His all-knowing and perfectly-loving powers than in the partially-knowing, sometimes-but-not-always-friendly opinions of other people.

Trusting in God is a win-win situation: Only one person whose opinion should matter to you, and he knows everything and loves you perfectly. That's awesome, if you ask me.

By the way, if you were to completely disassociate with every group of people (religious or not) that had bad people, you'd probably end up living by yourself on an island: every country, business, religion, race, club, etc. has terrible people. But they all have wonderful people, too.

So quit being so judgmental, and quit letting other people's actions be the barometer for your own behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment