Sunday, November 23, 2014

The benefits (i.e. blessings) of being Mormon

I don't care what the naysayers say, church is a haven from the cares of daily life. It's nice that once a week I can give my mind a break from what's going on the other six days a week. I usually take naps on Sunday, so my body gets a break, too :)

It's a great way to spend time as a family. It provides a community of friends to call on for help (i.e. for moving, meals for pregnant wife, helping pay for a missionary, etc.) or just fulfill the basic human need for friendship (i.e. people to do fun stuff with).

My wife and I can get free marriage counseling from our pastor. If we're referred to a professional marriage counselor, we can still have that free of charge, courtesy of our congregation (we ourselves contribute to those funds regularly).

The teenagers (including myself when I was one) get to learn practical life skills that are useful. The boys have boy scouts and the girls have young women.

I have the peace of mind that comes from having supplies and knowledge that will see me through a disaster safely. i.e. emergency preparedness.

I care for my family more than I ever would if I hadn't been instructed to. This also includes my ancestors. I likely wouldn't have gotten into genealogy as a hobby if I hadn't been instructed to. But since I'm familiar with my forebears, I know myself better. Their awesome stories are appreciated and not forgotten.

I have easy access to literature (i.e. the Bible, the Book of Mormon, words of living prophets) that gives me solace and answers during genuinely tough life events. And during times of ease, too.

These are the result of the bizarre (unique) beliefs and practices of the Mormons.

These are the benefits (i.e. blessings) of church.

I'm not sure if I'll share these publicly, because these might be trampled on by people who don't appreciate stuff like this.

Ya know what, they can have at it. Their ad hominem attacks that have no basis in intelligent argument can fly. Their rude comments won't alter how awesome church is. At least they'll boost my page views (and therefore my earnings). So the more they toss this around and belittle it, the more money I'll make. Is that what they want?

So thank you, naysayers, for opening my eyes to the positive side of church, and for helping me make money off your negative attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment